Summer holiday is the most awaited time of year for kids and parents alike. The little ones crave fun, sun, sand and sea. Parents want pretty much the same, plus a moment of rest. Here are our suggestions for the perfect getaway that will please everyone in the family.
Places to stay with kids
A parent’s opportunity for rest often requires a little extra help from the hotel, where in-house caretakers and entertainers take the responsibility off of your shoulders for a little while..
In addition to family-friendly rooms, Vogue has plenty of supervised swimming places and also an aqua park. Wonder Vogue Kids Club and Island, where children are invited to participate in workshops and various activities, is a replica of a town and an Indian village designed for children. The place features colorful buildings, roads, toy cars and tents all for kids who want a break from the sun and sea. Milas-Bodrum Yolu, Torba Mahallesi, Bodrum; T: (0252) 311 18 18; www.voguehotels.com/en
This hotel has been designed with children in mind! Located on a 300-meter-long sandy beach, parents with kids can escape the rays to a specially-designed covered beach pavilion. Voyage Torba also features a special restaurant, where children can enjoy their meals without parents, surrounded by friends their own age. Moreover, the hotel facility includes an amusement park, colorful mini club, baby and toddler pool, as well as an aqua park. Kızılağaç Mevkii, Torba; T: 0252 444 90 60; www.voyagehotel.com
Rixos Premium Bodrum
Every child will find fun at Rixos Premium Bodrum. The kids club called Rixy is divided into three sections according to age and offers a variety of entertainment including a cinema, game room, sleeping room, playground, and aqua park. The place also organizes diverse activities, such as cooking workshops, arts and crafts, sport games, and kite festivals. There is even a baby and kids care program catered towards the youngest guests and their parents. Torba Mahallesi, Herebot Bulvarı No. 15, Bodrum; T: 0252 337 11 22; premiumbodrum.rixos.com
Places to Swim
There are 71 blue flag beaches located around the Bodrum peninsula. Most are private, but there are still several clean, safe public beaches in Bitez (Bodrum Belediyesi Özgür Halk Plajı), Göltürbükü, Gündoğan, Kumbahçe, and Ortakent, while a few natural beaches can also be found in Yalıkavak.
In Ortakent is the ever-popular, sandy Kefi Beach. Its restaurant is open 12 months a year, making for a convenient place for parents to perch while their young ones have fun in the sandy beaches, swim, play and, finally, rest under the umbrellas. Asma Sokak No. 23, Ortakent; T: 0252 348 31 45
Places to eat
Kids-friendly restaurants are not only about the food they serve. Free space and things to do are equally important, for the times when they’re finished but grown ups still want to enjoy their meals.
- Eski Köy Restaurant offers well-known classics of Turkish cuisine. Their chefs and waiters will not let you wait – the service is really fast and many parents appreciate that. Eski Köy also has a playroom and baby changing room. Severcan Caddesi No.2, Gümbet; T: 0252 317 13 93
- Bağarası in Bitez is a local classic. Owner Ümmühan Girgin, known for her special take on meze, prepares unique, tasty and healthy dishes. Bağarası has a spacious garden for children to play on their own. Pınarlı Caddesi No.59, Bitez; T: 0252 363 76 93
- This list would not be complete without the most famous ice-cream spot in Bodrum, Bitez Dondurma. In addition to delicious, organic ice creams, the place also serves waffles and desserts in locations around Bodrum Peninsula.
Places to play and learn
If your Bodrum holiday exceeds a week, you will have to step up your parenting game in terms of providing entertainment with sports and other activities.
- Wake Up Watersports is a watersports center located in Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa in Türbükü. Experienced in working with the youngest guests, the place offers individual beginner water ski and wakeboard classes. For more advanced sports enthusiasts and their parents the place offers speed boat tours combined with flyboarding or windsurfing. Saplı Koyu, Türkbükü; kids instructor Kubilay Öner T: 0532 683 59 77
Places to visit with kids
Who says learning about history has to be boring? An engaging museum will stimulate the minds of all ages.
- Bodrum Maritime Museum combines history with a modern approach to capturing kids’ interest. In addition to an extensive collection of shells on display, there are also boats used for sponge diving, fishing and transportation. Nazım Hikmet Caddesi No.4/1; T: 0252 316 33 10; bodrumdenizmuzesi.org
- Bodrum Castle and Underwater Archeology Museum is one of the most important underwater museums in the world, where kids can explore sea life and learn facts about the history of Bodrum. Kale Caddesi, Barış Meydanı Sokak No. 36; T: 0252 316 25 16